The importance of German cannot be underestimated when living in Germany. German is necessary in everyday life, dealing with local authorities and in the research community. If you are studying at Freie Universität and want to learn German or to continue to work on your German skills, you will find the following information on this webpage:
- German for beginners for language proficiency levels A1 – A2
- Advanced German for language proficiency levels A2 – B1 – B2 - C1
- What you have to do to register for a German course
It is certainly worthwhile to take an intensive language course at the beginning of your stay. The University's Language Center (Sprachenzentrum) offers German courses for proficiency levels beginning with A2.
German for beginners
- The Language and Cultural Exchange Centre ("Sprach- und Kulturbörse") at Technische Universität Berlin offers a good selection of German courses for good price-value. Read more
- Adult & Further Education institutions in Berlin also provide language courses. Besides numerous private language schools we recommend the Community Education Centre ("Volkshochschule") which offers German courses for all language levels and has branches in every district in Berlin. You can also sign up for the "Integration courses" which are available to newcomers in all branches so you may choose the one closest to your living quarters. Applicants take a short test and are then assigned to the right level.
The University’s Language Center (Sprachenzentrum) provides German classes for language proficiency levels starting at the A2 level. You are required to register and take the OnDaF online placement test in order to determine which course level from A2 to C1 is right for you. Read more
Improving your German at the FU's Language Center
The University’s Language Center (Sprachenzentrum) provides all German classes for language proficiency levels starting at the A2 level. German courses for beginners are not available! To register for a course levels A2 to C1 you need to register and take the OnDaF online placement test. Course placements are allocated on a first come first served basis.
What is the OnDaF placement test?
OnDaF is the online placement test for German as a foreign language. You register online for the test, book a test date online, take the test at the Language Center at the Freie Universität Berlin under the supervision of the examination staff, and get the results directly after the test. The test takes about 60 minutes including registration and login. Detailed information at www.ondaf.de
What you have to do to register for a German course:
Further Information on German Courses and the placement test at Freie Universität Berlin.
Contact: Mrs Gabriela Leder, Room KL 25305 in the Language Center (Sprachenzentrum) of the main university building (Silberlaube), Tuesdays 4-5pm.You can arrange an appointment by calling Tel. 838 55686 or by sending an E-mail email@example.com
Register for a Language Tandem: Tandem stands for enjoyable language learning and cultural exchange. A language tandem is made up of two partners who speak different native languages and learn from each other. To register for a language tandem you can sign up either at the Language Center (Selbstlernzentrum) by email firstname.lastname@example.org or at the International Club by email email@example.com.
Further education institutions
A number of adult education institutions as well as private langauge schools in Berlin offer language courses as well as a wide range of other courses. The Community Education Centers ("Volkshochschule") provide courses for great value for money. There are branches in every district in Berlin.